Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Choline Supplement

I've decided to condense all of the information I have on the choline supplement into one blog entry. My son was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at 6 months old. At 7 months old I gave him a choline supplement called PhosChol. www.phoschol.com. I saw an immediate positive change in my son. He started holding onto objects longer and his tight clenched fits began to loosen up within an hour. He started sitting within 2 weeks and he became much more aware of his surroundings. It is a very gross tasting supplement, but it really helped John. I contacted researchers on choline at UNC Chapel Hill (Dr. Steven Zeisel). He is studying how choline effects memory in children. I have a copy of his full study if anyone is interested. Also, you can visit www.cholinebaby.com for more information on choline. I spoke with a few other parents that have children with cerebral palsy that have given a choline supplement to their child at a young age and also saw positive results. I was giving my son aproximately 3ml of choline a day until recently. My son is now 13 months old and has been given a different diagnosis from Duke University. None of the doctors have said that the choline would be bad for John, but given his new diagnosis and the fact that they have a treatment for it with different supplements that they know have worked in the past, they would like for me to stop giving John the choline. All of John's doctors at Duke were very interested in what I told them about the choline and one of them even said it would be a good thing to study for children with cp. I'm going to keep asking them about it and I'm going to share with the doctors the information I've collected, so maybe someday one of them will do a study on it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing this write up about PhosChol. Our newly adopted daughter (7 months old), also followed by Duke University has severe Cerebral Palsy. We just took her to see Dr. Harum for the first time last week and she recommended PhosChol. I about choked at the price, but feel much better about purchasing it based on the positive results you saw in your son. It was the encouragement that I needed.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure where you all are located, but there is a Traditional Naturopath in Raleigh that sells the same line of Supps as Dr. Harum, and she often gives discounts on the higher priced supps, though not always. You may want to check with her if you need something and are closer to Raleigh than Wilmington. Her office is out of her home currently because she has special needs children, too. Try Googling her... her name is Laura Dyke and her office was Vitality Wellness Center.

    ReplyDelete