Friday, March 12, 2010

Cord Blood Information

I know that one thing I really regret with John was not banking his cord blood. I'm pregnant again and I definitely want to bank the next baby's cord blood. I started looking into it and found out that because John has a metabolic disorder, we qualify for a federal program called the Related Donor Cord Blood Program. This program allows us to collect the cord blood & since I am delivering at Duke, they will store it at their Carolina Cord Blood Bank for free for the rest of our lives as part of the program. I wanted to post this information for anyone else that runs across this site that may have a child with a metabolic disorder and is thinking about having other children. There are other disorders that would also qualify you for this program, but I don't know what they are, so you would need to talk to your hospital/doctors to see if you qualify. You never know what they are going to be able to do with cord blood in the future so it is very important to bank it!!

4 comments:

  1. That's an awesome program! We haven't banked cord blood because it's so expensive. I'm glad that's going to work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a good description of the program on www.parentsguidecordblood.org and i think they list some of the diseases, or at least have links to that information. They also have a price chart that shows which cord blood banks don't have annual storage fees, which makes it much less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had done this with my twins but at the time I was so naive that I never thought it would be something we needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let us know if we can answer any of your questions on cord blood banking. We are here and happy to help!

    ReplyDelete